Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Lemon Curd will brighten your day whether you are in the middle of winter or the sunshine of summer. This year round recipe for quick bread is full of lemon flavor in each bite.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread fits in with the #BreadBakers theme; we are sharing our breads baked with seeds this March. I combined poppy seeds with lemon in this simple recipe. This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with lemon curd from a Williams Sonoma recipe is elevated by a triple dose of lemon– lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon curd. It is bright and cheerful– even while you are making it the smell of lemon will make you smile and think that winter is nearly over. The lemon curd mixes in the middle layer and, if you look closely, you’ll see that layer in your baked bread. The real lemon kick, though, is the glazing effect that the top layer of lemon curd creates on this bread. There is a lemony, light crust to the top and then you find the poppy seeds dancing below throughout the bread. All of this in a quick bread that comes together with ease? That’s right! So pour yourself another cup of tea, appreciate the sunshine and the melting snow outside and look forward to spring.Print
Recipe from Williams-Sonoma
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup lemon curd (store bought or make your own)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 5 loaf pan with baking spray; line the pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the paper.
- You’ll need two bowls. In one bowl combine the eggs and milk then add the oil, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. In the second bowl gently stir the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the poppy seeds.
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just barely combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Pour half to three-fourths of the batter into the pan. Drop tablespoons of half of the lemon curd around the batter then top with the remaining batter. You can swirl the batter and curd with a knife or just leave it be– the curd will settle in the middle layer both ways. Finish off with the remaining lemon curd and spread gently over the surface of the batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, the edges will brown before the top is finished. Tent with foil towards the end of the baking time if needed.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. This month’s theme is Seeds and is hosted by Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected] Don’t forget to check out the rest of the delicious breads with seeds:
- Amaranth Banana Nut Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Anadama Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Bird Seed Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Crunchy Seed Braid from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Everything Dutch Oven Bread from Chef Mireille’s East West Realm
- Hearty Seed Dinner Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Khobz Mzaweq – Moroccan Decorated Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Chia Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Bread from A Baker’s House
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread from The PinterTest Kitchen
- Makowiec – Polish Poppy Seed Bread from Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Multigrain and Seed Bread Extraordinaire from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Multigrain Bread with Flaxseeds from Cooking Club
- Pain Petri (Moroccan Challah) from Passion Kneaded
- Seeded Club Soda Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sesame Studded Grissini from Ruchik Randhap
- Simit – Turkish Ring Bread from Spice Roots
- Six Seed Soda Bread from Bakers and Best
- Sunflower Seed Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
- Sunflower Seed Bread from Kids and Chic