Quick breads are recipes that are made with baking soda or baking power rather than yeast. This strawberry bread comes together quickly with baking powder as the leavening agent. Use frozen strawberries to enjoy this strawberry bread recipe year round!
Make this easy strawberry bread recipe–a traditional quick bread– for a breakfast treat or a sweet bite with a cup of tea. I baked with frozen berries for this strawberry bread, keeping them frozen until I mixed them into the batter. This method worked but did leave extra moisture in the baked bread.
Next time I’ll use fresh berries to see if it makes a difference. The only change I made to the original recipe was to add a thin layer of sugar sprinkled on before baking. It make the top nice and crusty which was a good balance to the moist bread with strawberries.
Start with a strawberry bread recipe from Saveur magazine. I found their recipe online and look forward to making it again with different fruits throughout the year. Change it up and use blueberries, peaches, or even mangoes for a different twist. You’ll also enjoy this cherry bread recipe which is made with frozen berries and can be traditional or gluten free.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 TB sugar for dusting the bread before baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a loaf pan with baking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, oil and eggs.
- Next mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the strawberries and stir gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with sugar over the top.
- Bake for 70-75 minutes. (note that original recipe calls for 60 minutes but I found that too brief)
- Let cool before serving.
Fresh or frozen berries are fine for this recipe
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 276 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 96mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 19g Protein: 3g
Looking for more bread recipes?
Post originally published March, 2014. Updated in May, 2018.