Quick breads are recipes that are made with baking soda or baking power rather than yeast. This strawberry bread comes together quickly with baking powder as the leavening agent. Use frozen strawberries to enjoy this strawberry bread recipe year round!
Make this easy strawberry bread recipe–a traditional quick bread– for a breakfast treat or a sweet bite with a cup of tea. I baked with frozen berries for this strawberry bread, keeping them frozen until I mixed them into the batter. This method worked but did leave extra moisture in the baked bread.
Next time I’ll use fresh berries to see if it makes a difference. The only change I made to the original recipe was to add a thin layer of sugar sprinkled on before baking. It make the top nice and crusty which was a good balance to the moist bread with strawberries.
Start with a strawberry bread recipe from Saveur magazine. I found their recipe online and look forward to making it again with different fruits throughout the year. Change it up and use blueberries, peaches, or even mangoes for a different twist.Print
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 TB sugar for dusting the bread before baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a loaf pan with baking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, oil and eggs.
- Next mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the strawberries and stir gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with sugar over the top.
- Bake for 70-75 minutes. (note that original recipe calls for 60 minutes but I found that too brief)
- Let cool before serving.
Looking for more bread recipes?
Post originally published March, 2014. Updated in May, 2018.