Quick breads are recipes that are made with baking soda or baking power rather than yeast. This strawberry bread comes together quickly with baking powder as the leavening agent. Bake with frozen strawberries to enjoy this strawberry bread recipe year round!
Make this easy strawberry bread recipe–a traditional quick bread– for a breakfast treat or a sweet bite with a cup of tea. Sometimes a slice of bread with a bit of fruit mixed throughout is just what you need to satisfy your sweet tooth. We often bake banana bread which is also a type of quick bread, and this strawberry bread is created along the same lines.
Most quick breads– including this strawberry quick bread– can be made as a loaf of bread in a baking tin that is generally 8 by 4 inches (or thereabouts), or the same batter can be divided into muffin tins. Use a muffin tin along with paper muffin cups or bake in silicone muffin baking tray.
What makes this bread a quick bread recipe?
Quick breads are exactly as they sound– bread recipes that come together in a short period of time. Quick breads do not use yeast as a leavening agent so there is not waiting period for the bread to rise.
The method of baking quick bread is to first combine the dry ingredients like flour, salt, and baking soda in one bowl and the wet ingredients like eggs and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
Baking with frozen strawberries
I baked with frozen berries for this strawberry bread, keeping them frozen until I mixed them into the batter. This method worked but did leave extra moisture in the baked bread.
If you choose to thaw your strawberries before baking, let them drain in a colander that is resting over top of a bowl. After 30 to 60 minutes, take the liquid that has dripped into the bowl and bring it to a boil on the stove top. Reduce the liquid until it is about half or even a quarter of what you started with. This step intensifies the strawberry flavor and removes excess water. Then add this reduction back into your berries and continue with the recipe.
Other strawberry dessert recipes
- I love strawberry desserts, too, and think you’ll love this easy method of macerating strawberries to bring out their juices and flavor.
- Baking with fresh strawberries is so nice when strawberries are in season. Try these strawberry scones for Mother’s Day.
- Have you made cookies with a strawberry flavor? These pink pudding cookies are perfect for so any occasions– Valentine’s Day, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Mother’s Day, and baby showers.
- Summer ice cream is made into something special by roasting strawberries in this strawberry ice cream recipe.
Baking with fresh or frozen berries
Next time I’ll use fresh berries to see if it makes a difference. The only change I made to the original recipe for this strawberry quick bread was to add a thin layer of sugar sprinkled on before baking. It make the top nice and crusty which was a good balance to the moist bread with strawberries.
Recipe source- Saveur Magazine
Start with a strawberry bread recipe from Saveur magazine. I found their recipe online and look forward to making it again with different fruits throughout the year. Change it up and use blueberries, peaches, or even mangoes for a different twist. You’ll also enjoy this cherry bread recipe which is made with frozen berries and can be traditional or gluten free.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 TB sugar for dusting the bread before baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a loaf pan with baking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, oil and eggs.
- Next mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the strawberries and stir gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with sugar over the top.
- Bake for 70-75 minutes. (note that original recipe calls for 60 minutes but I found that too brief)
- Let cool before serving.
Fresh or frozen berries are fine for this recipe
- USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 1140LF 8.5 x 4.5 x 3 Inch, Small, Silver
- Wilton 2105-6789 Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, Standard, Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 276 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 96mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 19g Protein: 3g
Looking for more quick bread recipes?
Post originally published March, 2014. Updated in May, 2018.