No Bake Kit Kat Squares are an easy recipe for a layered chocolate dessert that come together without baking. Kit Kats are a favorite or mine but you could easily try this with other candy bars too. The video shares a version made with an assortment of Halloween candy.
No bake Kit Kat Squares are the solution to summer baking. Summer heat is upon us and nothing makes a warm home hotter than turning on the oven. Since I can’t imagine a week in the kitchen without eating goodies, I was happy to learn that the theme for #CreativeCookieExchange in July was No-Bake Cookies. Hooray! This kit kat bars recipe was perfect!
Candy Inspiration– endless possibilities!
I found inspiration in these no-bake nutter butter butterfinger bars from The Domestic Rebel. I loved the idea of taking a candy bar and turning it into another type of treat all together. Kit kat bars are a favorite of mine– milk chocolate with layers of wafers– and that is the thought behind this kit kat bars recipe.
Let’s walk through the steps to make Kit Kat Bars.
These photos were updated in 2018 and I made a version with leftover Halloween candy. It’s fun to turn trick or treat goodies into a new dessert!
Start by preparing your 8 by 8 pan and covering it with foil. Brush it with melted butter.
Measure 8 ounces of cookies for your crust. If you’d like this to be a gluten free recipe, select a gluten free cookie.
Pulse the cookies in a food processor. Add the melted butter and pulse until combined. Press this mixture in the bottom of your pan.
Move on to the chocolate. Combine the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Melt in the microwave then stir until smooth. Poor the chocolate mixture on top of the cookie crumb layer. Spread evenly.
Move on to the candy. Use all Kit Kats or use a mixture of Halloween candy. Six ounces is about right. Pulse in the food processor.
Spread the candy crumbs on top of the chocolate layer. Cover and place the bars int he refrigerator for 1-2 hours at least. Overnight is great too.
Here’s how you make no bake kit kat squares: There is a wafer cookie crust on the bottom, layered next with a chocolate and condensed milk, and topped with a kit kat crumbs. No baking required— just the microwave and the refrigerator make these beauties!
Let’s get baking: here’s the step by step video:
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces cookies (vanilla wafers or other plain wafer cookie)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 3 packages of 1.5 oz kit kat bars (4 kit kat fingers per package)
- Line an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with foil so that the edges are overhanging. This extra foil will act as handles when the dessert is taken out of the pan. Brush with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Pulse the cookies in the food processor until crumbs are formed then add the remaining 7 tablespoons melted butter and process until combined. Press the wafer crust firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk and the chocolate chips into a glass bowl. Microwave for one minute, stir, then microwave for 30 seconds more. Stir again. The mixture should be smooth but if not, microwave in additional 15 second increments then stir each time. *Note: milk chocolate chips can be used for the most authentic kit kat chocolate flavor but I chose to use dark chocolate chips to add a different chocolate layer than the topping. You pick your favorite. You can't go wrong.
- Pour this chocolate layer on top of the wafer crust.
- Next, pulse the kit kat bars in the food processor until the size of crumbs. Scatter on top of the chocolate layer then press lightly with a spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour or even overnight.
- Cut into 16 squares to serve.
Try this recipe with other candy such as heath bars or chocolate covered toffee.
Need a gluten free recipe? No problem! Use gluten free cookies and gluten free candies if you need to make this a gluten free recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 113mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 21g Protein: 2g
Are you on Pinterest? I am!
Join me there and save this no-bake dessert to your boards!
No Bake Cookies and Bars Recipes
Join us in this NO BAKE month! One of my favorite no bake dessert recipes is for mini no bake cheesecake bites.
If you are a blogger, contact Laura via email ([email protected]) and she will get you added to our Facebook group where we coordinate events. You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Facebook page, our Pinterest Board, and our monthly posts. You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
If you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking (or not-baking as the case may be this month), check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Chunky Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cookie Slice from Jill at Made with Love
- Indoor S’mores Bars from Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Kashata Squares from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Nutella Clusters from Tara at Noshing with the Nolands
- No Bake Bourbon Pecan Cookies from Renee at Magnolia Days
- No Bake Coconut Cookies from Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- No Bake Cookie Butter Cookies from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- No Bake Kit Kat Squares from Holly at A Baker’s House
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Cookies from Becca at It’s Yummi!
- Strawberry and Cream No Bake Cookies from Miranda at Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Thanks to Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories for organizing the links this month!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This post was originally written in 2014 and updated in 2018.