A bright taste of lemon is such a cheerful flavor. While I eat lemon treats year-round, it may be in the winter months that I most appreciate a burst of citrus. It was in January a few years ago that I shared a lemon curd recipe made in the microwave. Using the microwave makes the process of making lemon curd really quick and easy.
My mother-in-law shared the recipe with me and I thought curd could not get any easier…until the Vitamix came along. Wow, this is no ordinary blender! I would assume that the popular Blendtec functions in a similar manner but this Vitamix continues to amaze me. The fact that the Vitamix can mix the contents in the blender to such high temperatures is truly amazing.
Lemon Curd– so easy in the Vitamix
I thought I had a good idea to try to whip up some lemon curd in the Vitamix and, at the last minute, instead of just repeating my usual recipe I checked in the Vitamix cookbook for the possibility that the chefs there had already provided their preferred recipe.
Sure enough, on page 308 of the book, Create, there was this ingredient list for lemon curd. (By the way, it is not right that if you mis-type the word “curd” that it might turn into “cRud”, which spell-check won’t fix and which is the complete opposite of lemon curd. It should be called Lemon Delight or something light-hearted and more pleasant sounding!) This is good stuff!
What ingredients are needed to make lemon curd?
- lemons (juice and zest)
How to Make Lemon Curd in the Vitamix
- Put the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt (all ingredients EXCEPT the butter) into the Vitamix. Start at Variable 1 and gradually increase to Variable 10. Blend for 5 minutes. The mixture will heat up. It’s fun to watch the steam pour out the top!
- Reduce to Variable 3, remove the lid plug and add the pieces of butter through the lid. Blend for 30 more seconds. Your lemon curd will be smooth and somewhat runny while it is so hot.
- Allow to cool to room temperature then refrigerate. Two hours to overnight is just right. Store in mason jars. The lemon curd will thicken as it cools.
Lemon Curd Uses and Recipe Suggestions
Now that you have this beautiful and luscious lemon curd made in the Vitamix, what shall you do with it?
- Eating it by the spoonful is honestly an option. Been there, done that.
- While visiting England, I learned that lemon curd is delightful spread on toast.
- Try this Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Curd Filling
- Make this TWO ingredient Lemon Frozen Yogurt.
- Create this blueberry lemon marscapone cake from Beyond Frosting is beautiful!
- Bake this lemon raspberry layer cake from Lindsay at Life, Love and Sugar!
- Enjoy this lemon crumb cake from Tanya at Lemons for Lulu.
Give limes a try!Print
Capture that bright citrus punch that only lemon can give with this easy recipe for how to make lemon curd in the Vitamix!
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 large lemons) and zest of 2-3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small pieces
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT the butter into the Vitamix. Start at Variable 1 and gradually increase to Variable 10. Blend for 5 minutes. The mixture will increase in volume, change color, and will become quite hot.
- Reduce to Variable 3, remove the lid plug and add the pieces of butter through the lid. Blend for 30 more seconds. Be careful with the steam coming out of the top!
- Allow to cool to room temperature then refrigerate. The lemon curd will thicken as it cools. Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
Note: A regular blender will not cook the eggs in the way that a Vitamix will. The temperature of eggs that is safe to eat is 160 degrees F. If you don’t have a Vitamix or Blendtec then use the easy microwave method or a stovetop method.
Keywords: lemon, curd, Vitamix
Kitchen Tools You’ll Use for this Recipe:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.