Lemon cake with lemon curd
Lemon glaze on the lemon cake
Do you need icing on this lemon Bundt cake? You could use traditional buttercream but I think a glaze is your best option.
And that glaze, yes more lemon! A lemon and powdered sugar topping seals the deal here. All this talk about lemon and you might think this cake is overwhelmingly strong with citrus. It is not.
When baking with lemon it’s best to layer the flavors so that the citrus is not lost during the baking process. I find that you have to load up on lemon flavors for the lemon to sing in this lemon bundt cake once baked and the combination is quite pleasing.
Tips for Baking Bundt Cakes
- Use a nonstick baking pan
- Grease the pan thoroughly. This baking spray called Bakers Joy is sold on Amazon and it does a wonderful job of allowing your baked cake to release from the pan.
- Let the cake cool 10-15 minutes in the pan BEFORE you flip the cake out. Do not allow the Bundt cake to cool completely before turning it over.
- Let your cake cool before adding the glaze or icing.
If you love baking Bundt cakes try these recipes for Candy Corn Bundt Cake, Pumpkin Bundt Cake, Chocolate and Wine Bundt Cake, and this Lemon Raspberry Sour Cream Bundt Cake from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon curd (store bought or homemade) for the batter and 1/4 cup lemon curd for the filling
- 1/4 cup lemon juice plus 1 TB lemon juice for glaze
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray Bundt pan with baking spray and dust with flour.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a fork or whisk.
- Using a mixer (hand held or stand mixer) beat the butter for 2-3 minutes, until it lightens in color and texture. Slowly add the sugar, then the eggs, Next add the lemon zest, lemon curd and lemon juice. Blend well.
- Add the flour mixture and the sour cream in stages, alternating and mixing at low speed as you go. My hand-held mixer was not strong enough to mix on low towards the end of mixing this batter so I switched to a wooden spoon.
- The batter will be thick. Put half of the batter into the pan and spread it around with a spatula. You can spoon the lemon curd filling around the batter but I like putting it in a ziploc bag, cutting the corner off and piping the filling around in the center of the batter. Avoid the edges so that the curd stays within the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour, add an extra ten minutes if necessary.
- Cool for ten minutes in the pan then invert the pan and remove the cake. Once the cake is cooled,whisk together the glaze of 1 Tb lemon juice and 1/2 cup powdered sugar and pour over the cake.
Recipe adapted from a Cooking Light recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 377 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 76mg Sodium: 108mg Carbohydrates: 60g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 40g Protein: 5g
BundtaMonth Baking Group
Welcome to BundtAMonth January where the theme is Citrus! Need inspiration for your next Bundt cake? Check out these lovely cakes:
Almond Clementine Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry
Citrus Bundt Cake with Sparkling Wine and Fiori di Sicilia by Laura from The Spiced LifeCitrus Cocktail
Mini Bundt Cakes by Renee from Magnolia Days
Citrus Lust Mini Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
Dried Tomato Cherry & Yuzu Cake by Ann from Anncoo Journal
Glazed Lemon Bundt Cake by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
Grapefruit Poppyseed Bundt Cake by Deb from Knitstamatic
Grapefruit Yogurt Bundt Cake by Kate from Food Babbles
Lemon Bundt with Lemon Curd by Holly from A Baker’s House
Mini Orange Bundts with a Grand Marnier Glaze by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands
Orange Chocolate Marble Bundt by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
Orange Olive Oil Cake by Katerina from Diethood
Orange Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Bundt Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street
Soaked and Glazed Lemon Cake by Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious
Zesty Lemon Bundt Cake by Anita from Hungry Couple NYC