This cake from a Martha Stewart recipe is rich with chocolate with the wine in the background. Her recipe includes a wine glaze that would bring the flavor of the wine to the forefront, but I stuck with a chocolate icing to finish off this moist Bundt. Either way I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
Chocolate + Wine = Happiness
Two ingredients that scream PARTY to me are chocolate and wine– you can’t go wrong with that combination in life or in baking cakes! I recently had dinner out with some dear friends and they sent me home with the extra wine from the evening.
I knew I wanted to bake this Bundt cake with that red wine then share the cake with my friends. Sharing cake with friends gives you the best of both worlds– everyone gets to enjoy chocolate cake AND it means that I don’t eat the whole cake myself. Yes, that has been known to happen. More than once.
Recipe from Martha Stewart.com (with only one modification: I substituted 1/2 cup of sour cream instead of the box of cherry gelatin.
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (10 2/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Icing:(please note that the icing is different from the glaze suggested in the Martha Stewart recipe)
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- pinch of salt
- Prepare a 10 cup Bundt pan with baking spray and dust with flour or cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave in 15 second intervals if necessary to melt the chocolate completely. Let cool for a few minutes before adding the red wine, milk, and sour cream.
- Separately in a stand mixer (or electric mixer) combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat for 1-2 minutes or until well blended. Add the chocolate mixture and beat for another minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and beat on low for 30 seconds. Increase the speed and blend for another 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack before inverting.
- Icing: Combine the icing ingredients and whisk or beat with electric mixer until smooth. Pour over cake and let the icing set before serving.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 54g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 33g Protein: 6g