This cake from a Martha Stewart recipe is rich with chocolate with the wine in the background. Her recipe includes a wine glaze that would bring the flavor of the wine to the forefront, but I stuck with a chocolate icing to finish off this moist Bundt. Either way I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
Chocolate + Wine = Happiness
Two ingredients that scream PARTY to me are chocolate and wine– you can’t go wrong with that combination in life or in baking cakes! I recently had dinner out with some dear friends and they sent me home with the extra wine from the evening.
I knew I wanted to bake this Bundt cake with that red wine then share the cake with my friends. Sharing cake with friends gives you the best of both worlds– everyone gets to enjoy chocolate cake AND it means that I don’t eat the whole cake myself. Yes, that has been known to happen. More than once.
It’s celebration time at #BundtaMonth! The group has been baking up a storm for twelve months and this month we are ready for a virtual party. Want to join us? The group is led by Lora at Cake Duchess and Anhurada at Baker Street. Bake your fancy, party time Bundt and link up with us.
Recipe from Martha Stewart.com (with only one modification: I substituted 1/2 cup of sour cream instead of the box of cherry gelatin.
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (10 2/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Icing:(please note that the icing is different from the glaze suggested in the Martha Stewart recipe)
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- pinch of salt
- Prepare a 10 cup Bundt pan with baking spray and dust with flour or cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave in 15 second intervals if necessary to melt the chocolate completely. Let cool for a few minutes before adding the red wine, milk, and sour cream.
- Separately in a stand mixer (or electric mixer) combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat for 1-2 minutes or until well blended. Add the chocolate mixture and beat for another minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and beat on low for 30 seconds. Increase the speed and blend for another 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack before inverting.
- Icing: Combine the icing ingredients and whisk or beat with electric mixer until smooth. Pour over cake and let the icing set before serving.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 363 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 54g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 33g Protein: 6g
- Banana-Caramel Bundt Cake by Felice at All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Caramel Latte Bundt Cake by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate and Wine Bundt from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake by Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Devil’s Food Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Hong Kong Chiffon Mini Cakes by Kim at Ninja Baking
- Lemon Frangipane Bundt Cake by Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Little Bundt Pound Cakes by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Bundt by Anita at Hungry Couple
- Rose Mini Bundt Cakes by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Simple Orange Bundt Cake by Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Streusel Apple Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Triple Chocolate Mini Bundts by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- White Chocolate Bundt with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sandra at Sweet Sensations
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.