Our theme for April is Breads from Italy and this list of recipes might make you wish you were traveling through the Italian countryside, sampling breads and wine as you go. In fact, if this virtual baking group ever plans to meet up, may I be the first to suggest we do so on a food adventure? Yes, Italy would suit me just fine! Thank you to Ansh, the creator of Spiceroots, for hosting this month.
I offer this recipe from King Arthur Flour of Italian Easter Cheese Bread, also known as Crescia al Formaggio. This bread gains its golden hue from eggs and the easy-to-work-with (but slightly sticky) dough is accented with Parmesan cheese and a healthy dose of pepper. I like that the bread is on the savory side; at my house it will be a treat to use for sandwiches made with Easter’s leftover ham. Another option where this bread would sing is in a ham and cheese bread pudding, also a good way to make leftovers brand new.
Some Easter breads are shaped into circles with eggs nestled in the middle; others are shaped in the image of doves. You could do either with this egg-based dough. For this bread I did a simple braid with three logs of the dough then baked it in a bread pan.
I find the King Arthur Flour provides reliable and repeatable recipes that I come to count on in my kitchen. There is a great satisfaction in baking bread at home and to start with recipes that I know will yield good results is really important to me. I think you’ll agree if you give this recipe a try. Please click through here to find the original recipe.
- Casatiello by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Ciabatta Sandwich Rolls by Herbivore Cucina
- Classic Italian Bread by Hostess At Heart
- Cornetti by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Einkorn Parmesan Piadina by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Fingermillet and Rosemary Focaccia by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Focaccia Caprese by Sneha’s Recipe
- Grissini by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Gubana – An Italian Sweet Bread by The Schizo Chef
- Il Pane di Matera by Food Lust People Love
- Italian BLT Focaccia by A Salad For All Seasons
- Italian Easter Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Easter Cheese Bread by A Baker’s House
- Italian Herb and Garlic Focaccia by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Stuffed Pane Bianco by Cook’s Hideout
- Mini Panettone by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Pane Bianco by Veenas Vegnation
- Pane di Genzano by Spiceroots
- Piadina by Passion Kneaded
- Pizza alla Siciliana by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Cabernet Salt Focaccia by What Smells So Good?
- Torta Salata Pasquale by A day in the Life on the Farm
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme and/or ingredient. A sincere thanks goes to Anshie at Spiceroots for hosting this month!
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org