Making basic bagels with blueberries at home is not as complicated or as tricky as you might think. Yes, most often you’ll find a dozen of beautifully plump bagels at your local bakery but recreating them at home takes no special equipment. It’s the extra step of boiling the bagels first (in a simple saucepan) then baking them that gives that chewy middle with a crusty outer bite. I followed King Arthur’s recipe for its basic bagels then added dried blueberries. Baking is always a learning process for me. I should have incorporated the dried blueberries earlier in the process but it completely slipped my mind until after the first rise at which point the dough wasn’t very accepting of the berries. Many simply fell off and never became incorporated into the dough! That is why my bagels are simply “basic” but “with blueberries added”. The blueberries were sparse but still a worthwhile addition. It’s worth nothing that even though these berries began as dried they really found their moisture again while baking. Do you see the juice oozing from that bagel? So good!
Bagels are the theme this month with the #BreadBakers– a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Get inspired by the list of recipes below and join us in your kitchen, won’t you?
This recipe from King Arthur needs to start the night before you plan to make the bagels. Again, it’s not complicated but it does help to plan ahead. Next time I hope to plan one extra step ahead and let the formed bagels rest in the refrigerator overnight so that I have them ready to bake in the morning. The smell of fresh bread in the morning is a refreshing way to start any day!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g
- Asiago Cheese Bagels by Jenni at Pastry Chef Online
- Basic Bagels by Caro at En la Cocina de Caro
- Basic Bagels with Blueberries from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Blueberry Bagels by Sophie at Sweet Cinnamon Honey
- Chocolate Chip Bagels by Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic New York Water Bagels by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cornmeal Bagels by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Easy Homemade Bagels by Wendy at A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Homemade Truffle Salt Bagels by Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey Multigrain Bagels by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Jalapeño and Cheddar Bagels by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Montreal Bagels by Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story
- Orange Ginger Bagels by Rocio at Kids & Chic
- Parmesan Garlic Bagels by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Simit (Turkish Bagels) by Adam at Bakers and Best
- Sour Dough Bagels from Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Whole Wheat Oat Bagels by Kelly at Passion Kneaded