Today I’m sharing nectarine-blueberry muffins– the crumble topping is optional but oh-so-good.
This recipe is one from America’s Test Kitchen. The original recipe called for a cranberry-pecan combination and I switched it up to use nectarines, blueberries, and walnuts.
Create a pairing that fits with your taste and with the ingredients you have at home. Making these with fresh fruits from the local orchard or your own backyard would be a special treat!
We don’t let the hot summer weather get in the way of enjoying baking at home and you shouldn’t either! Yes, your kitchen will warm up slightly but the tradeoff is this bounty of summertime recipes below that highlight our theme this month: STONE FRUIT.
Beautiful apricots, juicy peaches, fragrant cherries…stone fruits have a way of bringing summer flavors at their peak to your table in a way that you won’t mind heating up your oven.
Let’s bake with fruit
If you love baking with fruit then you’ll enjoy making these baking recipes:
- Gluten free Blueberry Galette
- Strawberry Bread
- Coconut Grapefruit Squares
- Peach Oat Quick Bread
- Nectarine Drop Cookies
Muffins are a type of quick bread. You likely know that yeast is not an ingredients in muffins. Enjoy many more quick bread recipes and let me know which is your favorite!
Nectarine-blueberry muffins-- the crumble topping is optional but oh-so-good. This recipe is one from America's Test Kitchen. The original recipe called for a cranberry-pecan combination and I switched it up to use nectarines, blueberries, and walnuts.
- 1/4 all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- pinch salt
- 1/2 walnuts
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- 4-5 nectarines, pit removed, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes/pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin baking cups or coat with baking spray.
- Make the crumble: combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and salt in a food processor for a few pulses. Add the walnuts and continue to pulse for another 4-5 times. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Make the muffins: Combine the flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Whisk gently.
- Pulse the walnuts and granulated sugar in the food processor until well combined. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the milk, eggs and melted butter. Whisk the flour mixture into the milk mixture until just combined. Let sit for 30 minutes so that the batter thickens.
- Gently fold in the nectarines and blueberries into the muffin batter. Scoop the batter into the 12 muffin cups. Top with the crumble mixture, gently pressing the crumble into the tops of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until muffins start to lightly brown on top. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then transfer to a wire rack to cool for an additional 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe comes from America's Test Kitchen's recipe for Cranberry-Pecan Muffins. Source: Step by Step Holiday Baking 2015-16 edition, page 82.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
This data is provided by Nutritionix and is an estimate only.
Holly Baker started the food blog, A Baker’s House, in 2011. She is the writer, recipe creator, and photographer for the site. Holly loves to bake and shares recipes for gluten free food, canning recipes, as well as traditional desserts too. Her recipes and food photography have been highlighted by BuzzFeed, Reader’s Digest, and She Knows.
[email protected] in Pyjamas
Wednesday 29th of June 2016
These look delicious, I love muffins with a crumb topping.
Saturday 25th of June 2016
love the crumb topping - yum
Wednesday 22nd of June 2016
Yummy looking muffins. Love the addition of nectarines and blueberries.
Friday 17th of June 2016
Delicious and flavorful combo muffins.
Friday 17th of June 2016
I love this combination of flavors. As usual, another wonderful recipe. I could eat a dozen!