Roasting strawberries will take your milkshakes from ordinary to extraordinary! Craft a delightful, creamy roasted strawberry milkshake worthy of a special occasion. The key to developing deep strawberry flavor is to roast the strawberries with a touch of sugar and balsamic vinegar before pureeing the milkshake to perfection!
This post is sponsored by Horizon®. All opinions, comments and content shared on A Baker’s House are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Horizon® or Danone North America. #sponsored
How to make a roasted strawberry milkshake
- Roast the strawberries, cool completely.
- Blend the strawberries, milk and ice cream.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream if desired.
Of course, you can make a traditional homemade strawberry milkshake by blending strawberries, milk, and ice cream. Nothing wrong with that. Simply leave out the sugar and balsamic vinegar in the recipe below.
But, if you are looking for the best strawberry milkshake you’ve come to the right place! This roasted strawberry milkshake recipe is simple and sweet. You’d never guess that the secret to roasted strawberries is balsamic vinegar!
The vinegar heightens the essence of the strawberries without overpowering their fresh flavor. My son drank the entire glass of this milkshake and couldn’t guess what ingredient made the difference. He didn’t spend much time thinking about it – he was too busy asking for a refill!
While balsamic vinegar might sound fancy and not kid-friendly, I can assure you that this is a milkshake recipe for the whole family. If balsamic is not your thing, try vanilla! Vanilla roasted strawberries are also divine. Use 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract.
How to Roast Strawberries
Best Ratio of Ice Cream to Milk in a Milkshake
There are plenty of opinions on how to make the best milkshake. In the end, it’s all about how thick or thin you prefer your shakes. I grew up going to a fifties inspired diner for special occasions, and they served (and still do!) thick milkshakes that you could eat with a spoon. At home, I tend to craft shakes that can be enjoyed with a straw and my boys always prefer ultra-smooth and creamy milkshakes.
The ratio I turn to for milkshakes is 4:1. For every four cups of ice cream, use one cup of milk. If you like a thicker milkshake use more ice cream. If you want a thin milkshake use more milk. Simple as that!
Horizon® Organic Grassfed Milk
When you have a short ingredient list for a recipe of any kind, it is so important to use the highest quality ingredients. Each ingredient plays a part in the final product. I chose Horizon® Organic Grassfed milk for this strawberry milkshake.
Horizon® Organic offers Grassfed Milk in Reduced Fat and Whole Milk. The concept is simple—milk tastes best when it comes from organic pastures and happy cows. Organic means Non-GMO, with milk from cows who spend part of their time on pastures and are not given antibiotics, persistent pesticides, or added hormones.
Horizon® partners with the American Grassfed Association and takes its responsibility seriously to produce grassfed milk. Not all grassfed products are certified in our country and Horizon® proudly offers certified grassfed milk.
Where to buy Horizon® Organic Grassfed Milk
Find Horizon® Organic Grassfed Milk at your local Sprouts Farmers Market. Check for store locations here.
Looking for more ways to enjoy Horizon® Organic Grassfed Milk? Try these recipes:
- 2 cups organic strawberries, wash, remove hulls and quarter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Horizon® Organic Grassfed Reduced Fat Milk
- 4 cups (1 quart) Organic Vanilla Ice Cream
- Optional: ¼ cup Horizon® Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- Optional: 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the quartered strawberries in 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Roast for 18-20 minutes, tossing once half way through. Let the roasted strawberries cool completely before moving on with the recipe.
2. Place the roasted strawberries, Horizon Organic Grassfed Reduced Fat Milk, and 4 cups organic vanilla ice cream into a blender. Blend on high for 30-60 seconds or until well blended.
3. Serve immediately. Top with sweetened whipped cream if desired. Whip ¼ cup Horizon® Organic Heavy Whipping Cream and 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar with an electric whisk until peaks form.
1. Horizon® Organic Grassfed Whole milk may be used in place of the Reduced Fat milk
2. If you make the roasted strawberries ahead of time, store in the refrigerator until ready to use (up to 3 days).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 40gProtein: 8g
This data is provided by Nutritionix and is an estimate only.
Holly Baker started the food blog, A Baker’s House, in 2011. She is the writer, recipe creator, and photographer for the site. Holly loves to bake and shares recipes for gluten free food, canning recipes, as well as traditional desserts too. Her recipes and food photography have been highlighted by BuzzFeed, Reader’s Digest, and She Knows.