Beautiful homemade bread from left over mashed potatoes– yes!
This bread— mashed potato rolls —is a new recipe for me but one that has been well-tested by the Food Network. I incorporated left over mashed potatoes into the dough and the resulting rolls were a success. This potato rolls recipe is good for beginner bread bakers. Give it a try!
A holiday hit
Growing up, we knew it was a special family dinner if we had a tray or two of those darling little rolls made by Pepperidge Farm. Did anyone else always try to eat the last one of the rolls like me? Really they were just a vehicle for butter, plenty of butter. This recipe recreates that type of roll. Perfect for family dinners.
Make these mashed potato rolls for your Easter dinner, use them for sliders at a summer barbeque or serve them as small sandwiches at a baby shower. They are a big hit at my house at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Whatever your occasion, these rolls can play a part. I’m sure I’ll find many reasons to make these potato rolls again, let me know how you will use them too!
Find joy in making homemade bread
Through trial and error I am learning that making breads at home is not as intimidating as I once thought. The ingredients are basic and I usually have what’s required in my pantry without needing an extra trip to the store.
The hands-on time of making bread is minimal—mix ingredients, knead the dough, then let it rest before continuing translates into 10 minutes in the kitchen, run an errand, and return to your rising dough. While baking bread may span a few hours or even over night, the time you spend actively working with your dough is not overwhelming.
- Please note that my only change from the Food Network recipe is that I had mashed potatoes to start the recipe; their recipe begins with 1 medium potato that is cooked then passed through a potato ricer or food mill.
- 1 cup of smooth, mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup hot water (115 degrees F)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/4 ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temperature
- Please click through to Food Network to follow their detailed directions.
Serving Size:1 roll
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 181 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 155mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 4g
Join me on Pinterest and save this Pin for Potato Rolls to your recipe boards!
More homemade bread recipes:
- Danish pastries
- Knead Not Sourdough Bread (an Alton Brown recipe)
- Italian Easter Cheese Bread
- Overnight Rosemary Rolls
- Gluten free cinnamon rolls