A chocolate lover’s dream, this flourless chocolate cake with ganache may be my all time favorite dessert. A chocolate dessert that will satisfy both traditional and gluten free requests. Instant Coffee is a secret ingredient that magically makes the chocolate even more decadent! Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top if you wish.
My introduction to flourless chocolate cake with ganache came a few years ago when my sweet friends treated me to a birthday lunch and there was a delicious slice of flourless chocolate cake to finish off the meal. It had never occurred to me to bake a flourless cake. To me, the “less” in flourLESS must have meant that something was missing. Taste, structure, familiarity– something had to be wrong with that type of cake. Well I was certainly wrong about that!
Are you on Pinterest? I am! Join me there and save this pin to your recipe collection.
Flourless chocolate cake with ganache is a chocolate cake with a thick, chocolate glaze. It’s easy to make, too. Adding the instant coffee granules deepens the chocolate flavor in the same way that including vanilla extract bumps up the intensity of the chocolate. You could omit the coffee if you don’t have it on hand.
A friend of mine serves a flourless chocolate cake at her Passover feast. She makes multiple cakes ahead of time and is ready to delight her guests. This cake is an excellent choice of a make ahead dessert for Passover or for most any other occasion.
Want to take this cake up a level? Ganache is a quick and easy topping. Adding a chocolate ganache on top hides any imperfections and makes this dessert something special. Freezing the cake is also an option– both the cake and ganache freeze very well. I like to slice the cake and freeze it in small portions so that I only eat one slice at a time.Print
A chocolate lover’s dream, this flourless chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache may be my all time favorite dessert. A chocolate dessert that will satisfy both traditional and gluten free requests. Instant Coffee is a secret ingredient that magically makes the chocolate even more decadent! Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top if you wish.
For the cake:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) for the cake, plus 1 tsp butter for greasing the pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (be sure to choose gluten free vanilla if you want to make the cake Gluten-Free)
For the ganache:
- 4 ounces chocolate (either chips or from a bar of chocolate, chopped into pieces)
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan with butter. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment. Butter the parchment as well.
- Melt 8 ounces of chocolate and the butter in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Add the sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, instant coffee granules, and vanilla extract. Beat well until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before adding the ganache.
- For the ganache: Heat the cream on the stovetop or in the microwave (not to boiling, just to a very warm temperature). Add the heated cream to the chocolate chips and let sit for ten minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth and shiny. Remove the cake from the springform pan and pour the chocolate ganache onto the cake. Let the ganache harden at room temperature.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator or freezer if not serving that day.
Looking for more chocolate recipes? Here are a few more chocolate favorites:
Tools used in baking this dessert:
A double boiler comes in handy for melting chocolate or you can use the microwave.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Post originally published in November 2012; updated in March 2018.