Blueberry coconut squares are bursting with blueberries! Blueberries– fresh or frozen–are a stellar ingredient to use year-round. Good for you, bright in color and ideal for recipes from breakfast to dessert and all day in between, blueberries have been called little blue dynamos for a reason!
I’ve been baking with frozen blueberries lately and have enjoyed a blueberry-lemon bundt cake as well as blueberry and brie puffs. Today I’m sharing blueberry coconut squares in response to a call for entries in the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council’s recipe contest. Their contest has four flavor categories: coconut, banana, balsamic, and rosemary. Do you have a favorite combination?
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick of butter (8 TB), cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (not thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the flour, sugar, butter, coconut oil, and egg into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low until ingredients are just combined. Now add the shredded coconut to the bowl and mix on medium until the dough is consistently mixed.
- Divide the dough in half. Press half of the dough into an 8 x 8 inch (ungreased). Pour the three cups of blueberries over the dough. Pinch small clumps of the remaining dough and drop over the blueberries, covering most all of the pan. Press gently without breaking up the crumbles.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool for at least 30 minutes to allow the blueberry filling to set then cut into 16 squares.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
This data is provided by Nutritionix and is an estimate only.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram
Looking for more berry recipes? Try these!
Holly Baker started the food blog, A Baker’s House, in 2011. She is the writer, recipe creator, and photographer for the site. Holly loves to bake and shares recipes for gluten free food, canning recipes, as well as traditional desserts too. Her recipes and food photography have been highlighted by BuzzFeed, Reader’s Digest, and She Knows.