Blueberry coconut squares are bursting with blueberries! Blueberries– fresh or frozen–are a stellar ingredient to use year-round. Good for you, bright in color and ideal for recipes from breakfast to dessert and all day in between, blueberries have been called little blue dynamos for a reason!
I’ve been baking with frozen blueberries lately and have enjoyed this blueberry-lemon bundt cake as well as these blueberry and brie puffs. Today I’m sharing blueberry coconut squares in response to a call for entries in the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council’s recipe contest. Their contest has four flavor categories: coconut, banana, balsamic, and rosemary. Do you have a favorite combination?
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick of butter (8 TB), cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (not thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the flour, sugar, butter, coconut oil, and egg into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low until ingredients are just combined. Now add the shredded coconut to the bowl and mix on medium until the dough is consistently mixed.
- Divide the dough in half. Press half of the dough into an 8 x 8 inch (ungreased). Pour the three cups of blueberries over the dough. Pinch small clumps of the remaining dough and drop over the blueberries, covering most all of the pan. Press gently without breaking up the crumbles.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool for at least 30 minutes to allow the blueberry filling to set then cut into 16 squares.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 181 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 81mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Protein: 2g