Spiced muffins with persimmons would be the perfect start to your Thanksgiving day. The spices release deep aromas to fill your house with that Thanksgiving feeling and trying a fruit that you might not typically bake with gives yet another reason for thanks.
So much of this Thanksgiving week is spent working on the dinner menu– it’s all about the turkey, the side dishes and the desserts. Well, why wait for dinnertime to enjoy something special for the holiday? Let’s start with breakfast and make these spiced muffins with persimmons. This recipe was featured in Cooking Light’s November 2010 issue. Please tell me that I am not the only one with piles of magazines and recipe pages torn from magazines all over the place? Some issues, particularly holiday magazines, hold my attention for years and my collection is growing. This recipe is a keeper for sure. What new treats will you bake this season?
Recipe adapted from Spiced Persimmon and Pecan Muffins, Cooking Light November 2010
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine dry ingredients of flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine and set aside.. In a separate bowl mash the banana, add the sour cream, honey, oil, vanilla, and egg.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients then gently stir in the persimmons, dried cranberries and raisins.
- Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups. Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-22 minutes.
Recipe adapted from a Cooking Light recipe.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 153 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 136mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 14g Protein: 2g