Stained glass cookies are often reserved for Christmas but I had never made them before and thought that baking them in HEART shapes would be fun with the #CreativeCookieExchange group this month.
This particular recipe comes from Martha Stewart’s site. I’ll include the link below so that you can click through to the full recipe.
I used crushed LifeSavers for the middle and liked the effect of the “stained glass” but found that it was terribly crunchy to bite through.
My second try brought Swedish fish candies to fill the middles. Simple roll out a Swedish fish with a rolling pin or by squishing it with your clean fingers then use your small cookie cutter to make the same shape as you did in the cookie dough. Press the candy into the middle of the unbaked dough and then baked for the recommended time.
This choice helped me twofold: 1. I liked the softer center to the cookie and didn’t worry about breaking a tooth! and 2. Placing the red middle in first to the raw dough saves the step of adding the crushed candies midway through the baking time.
Granted, the Swedish fish do not give that window-like look when you hold the cookie up to the light but they certainly are pretty and they taste good too! Want to skip the filled middle all together?
That works as well, this is a good recipe for a standard sugar cookie with a shortbread taste.
Here’s another recipe that works well for Valentine’s Day– chocolate avocado pudding. It’s a chocolate pudding that you can feel good about serving your family. And it tastes great!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g
- Aloha Linzer Cookies by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Cheese Hearts by Bakingyummies
- Chocolate Valentine Sugar Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dark Chocolate Sugar Cookies by Flours and Frostings
- Double Chocolate Spritz Heart Cookies by The Spiced Life
- Happy Heart Lemon Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Meringue Hearts by Noshing With The Nolands
- Nutella Raspberry Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Pomegranate, Rose and White Chocolate Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sour Cream Pecan Sandies by Magnolia Days
- Sweet Heart Cookies by 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Yin Yang Cookies by Food Lust People Love
Are you on Pinterest? I am! Join me there and save this Valentine’s Day idea!