Orange spiced tea cookies are a delicate dessert packed with flavor. Today I started with Good Earth’s Sweet & Spicy herbal and black tea then incorporated it into this slice and bake cookie to create orange spiced tea cookies. The bold flavors of cinnamon and orange are highlighted in this herbal tea and both flavors transfer well to baked goods.
I increased the orange with the addition of some orange zest and juice while adapting a tea cookie recipe from Krystina Castella’s book, Crazy about Cookies (page 119). The aroma in the kitchen when these cookies were baked was almost as much of a treat as eating the cookies! The orange and spices were a bright scent, one that I hope to recreate again. This is a simple orange spiced tea cookie, perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
Welcome to #CreativeCookieExchange for the month of March where the theme is tea and coffee. We want to WAKE UP from winter with these flavors! Won’t you join us? Baking with tea is a creative way to introduce new flavors to your baked goods. Teas come in so many varieties — simple black tea, green tea, spice teas, fruity teas,…the list goes on.Print
Recipe adapted from Crazy about Cookies, page 119. Recipe by Krystina Costella.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 TB tea (I suggest 2 tea bags of Good Earth’s Sweet and Spicy herbal and black tea)
- 1 stick butter (8 TB)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- Combine the flour, salt, and tea. Tea from tea bags should be ground finely and won’t need additional processing. Loose tea leaves may need to be ground before adding to the dry ingredients.
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand held mixer) cream the butter and sugars together until light. Add the zest and orange juice. Mix until well blended.
- Make a log shape with the dough, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice cookie dough in 1/4 inch slices. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
The group has been busy baking– here are our creations this month. Want to join in the fun? Become a host with us. Just contact Laura at [email protected] and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Facebook page, our Pinterest Board, and our monthly posts. You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
Vanilla Rooibos Tea Cookies from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
Matcha Green Tea Cream Filled Sugar Cookies from NinjaBaking.com
Orange Spiced Tea Cookies from A Baker’s House
Chocolate Espresso White Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Mocha Viennese Swirl Cookies from Baking Yummies
Hazelnut Espresso Cookies from Basic N Delicious
Café au Lait Bars from The Spiced Life
Piped Coffee Butter Cookies from Made with Love
Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies from Noshing with the Nolands
Coffee Crisps from Magnolia Days
Matcha White Chocolate Cookies from It’s Yummi!
Jasmine Lychee Green Tea Shortbread from Food Lust People Love
Mocha Meringue Cookies from Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt
Earl Grey French Macarons with Honey Rose Water Buttercream from Sweet Cinnamon and Honey