Grain-free carrot flatbread is straight out of the pages of one of my favorite magazines, Cooking Light. The October 2016 issue shared this grain-free veggie bread. Its base is shredded carrots then it is filled with nuts and seeds along with spices. Eggs bind the ingredients before you press the mixture into a sheet pan. After a 25 minute baking time you have this flatbread: somewhat chewy inside and best eaten toasted on the outside. Crunchy seeds and nuts fill each bite.
I am not convinced that this could ever replace what I think of as “bread” but it sure is an interesting alternative. Baking this recipe felt like a science experiment to me and I was curious from start to finish. Try this recipe or make it with alternative vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli. I did not make any changes to the Cooking Light version this first time around so please click through here for the full ingredient list and directions.
- 2 ounces dry-roasted
- unsalted almonds (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 ounces unsalted pumpkin seeds (about 1/2 cup)
- toasted 2 3/4 ounces dry-roasted, unsalted sunflower seed kernels (about 1/2 cup)
- 21 ounces carrots (about 5 large), cut into 1/2-in.-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking tray with parchment.
- Use a food processor to pulse the almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Process the carrots in the food processor until they are in small pieces. Add to the large bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients of oregano, cumin, pepper, salt and 2 eggs and 2 egg whites. Fold everything together.
- Press the carrot mixture into the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minute or until the bread just starts to lightly brown.
- Cool completely then cut into 12 squares.
Recipe originally found in Cooking Light magazine.
Serving Size:1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 780mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g
Check out the Healthy Breads that our fellow #BreadBakers have baked this month:
- Amaranth Flatbread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Beet Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Blueberry Almond Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brain Booster Pancakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Banana Flax Almond Meal Muffins from Spill the Spices
- Eggless Whole Wheat Brioche Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Grain-free Nutty Carrot Flatbread from A Baker’s House
- Healthier Applesauce Spice Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy Whole Grain Bread from The Bread She Bakes
- Honey Almond Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Multigrain Pesto Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Oatmeal Crispbread (Oatmeal Knäckebröd) from Baking Sense
- Organic Honey Whole Grain Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Quick Whole Wheat Bread from Ambrosia
- Spiced Besani Paratha from Sneha’s Recipe
- Sprouted Wheat Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato Bread with Honey from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sweet Potato Millet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Ten Grain No Knead Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whole Wheat Carrot Apple Walnut Quickbread from A Salad For All Seasons
- Whole Wheat White Bean Bread from Cooks Hideout
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month’s host is Pavani of Cook’s Hideout. Many thanks to Pavani for her time and efforts! If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].