A friend gave me what might be one of the most comprehensive dessert cookbooks recently published: William Sonoma’s Dessert of the Day, 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year. It offers recipes– some seasonal, others timeless– reminding me that I am not alone in wanting to eat dessert every day! Craving chocolate? It has more than 40 suggestions. What about cookies? Try one of the 30+ cookie recipes included. Cobblers, cheesecakes, pies and puddings– this book has it all! So when this same (very kind and generous) friend brought me some macadamia nuts from her recent Hawaiian vacation, I knew I’d find the perfect way to use them in the pages of this cookbook. These White Chocolate & Macadamia Nut Blondies offer a chewy, sweet, nutty, salty, crunchy bite all at once. They travel well (I shared this batch with my book club) and would be great for a road trip, camping trip, or to gift to a neighbor. Bake a double batch because these squares are addicting. You’ll want more than one for sure!
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with baking spray and parchment. (Cut the parchment in two 8 by 12 rectangles. Overlap the sheets of parchment, one in each direction, such that you have overhanging "handles" of parchment with which you can lift the blondies after they are baked.)
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and blend until well incorporated.
- Fold the flour in with a spoon then mix in the nuts and white chocolate until well distributed throughout the batter.
- Use a spatula to empty the batter into the prepared pan. Spread with an offset spatula to even the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and lift out of the pan using the parchment handles. Cool completely before serving.
Recipe from Williams Sonoma Dessert of the Day 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year page 182. Also can be found on the Williams Sonoma website here: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/white-chocolate-and-macadamia-nut-blondies.html