Pumpkin Spice Cut Out Cookies start with a basic cookie dough to which pumpkin spice is added. Cut them out then decorate with pumpkin colors and these are festive and fun for pumpkin season! The season of pumpkins is all around us and this month the #CreativeCookieExchange is happy to share our favorite pumpkin cookie recipes. Bake it with pumpkin, shape it like a pumpkin, add some pumpkin pie spice–whatever is your favorite cookie we’d love to know! I went overboard on pumpkin with these cookies as they fit all three of those descriptions: pureed pumpkin is in the ingredient list, you can cut out this dough to make adorable pumpkin shapes, and to boost that pumpkin feeling I also added pumpkin-friendly spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. It’s funny how pumpkin pie spice makes us think more of pumpkin pie, pumpkin lattes and other pumpkin treats more than the actual PUMPKIN itself. Check out this quick lesson on making pumpkin pie spice from The Kitchn then customize the spice mix to make it your own as I did in the recipe below.
For these cookies I started with my favorite cookie creator’s recipe by Bridget from Bake at 350. She is a master of all things cookies! I used her standard sugar cookie recipe as my starting point then added ingredients to create this pumpkin spice cookie. Baking with pumpkin puree reminds me of baking with applesauce; it lends a softness to the cookie you wouldn’t otherwise have. Still, the combined ingredients resulted in a strong yet forgiving dough when rolled out and a firm enough cookie once baked to stand up to the layer of royal icing on top.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g
- Mexican Chocolate Pepita Shortbread Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Stay at Home Mama
- Pumpkin Date Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Pumpkin Drop Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal with White Chocolate M&Ms by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin, Oats and Sunflower Seeds Cookies by ISingCakes & More
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies by 2Cookin’ Mamas
- Pumpkin Spice Cut Out Cookies by A Baker’s House
- Pumpkin Thumbprints by Flours & Frostings
The theme this month is Pumpkin! It is only October–you can’t possibly be tired of this glorious symbol of the fall harvest yet! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife @gmail.com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!