SWIRLS! That is the theme for #BundtaMonth in June. What a fun idea to kick off the summer months of picnics, potlucks and barbeques where taking a Bundt cake is always a crowd-pleaser. My thoughts of summer swirls took me to a childhood favorite frozen treat– the orange creamsicle. I used this orange cardamom cake from Cooking Light as my starting point for orange flavor. To get the orange color I had in mind I knew it might not be possible with simple ingredients like orange zest and orange juice…so I added a packet of orange jello to the mix. Yes, I know, jello isn’t my first go-to ingredient in baking but in this case it was a must. The cake’s color made an impact and the creamy swirl of cream cheese filling completed the flavor profile I had in mind.
Now for the swirl…did it work? Well, let’s cut into the cake and see together:
The swirl is there but not quite as “swirly” as I would have liked. I was hoping for a more evenly distributed swirl but it came out top heavy (bottom heavy actually since the Bundt bakes upside-down) but the idea was still a success and worthy of a repeat later this summer. An easy orange juice and confectioners’ sugar icing finished off the Bundt. Want a bite?
- Cooking spray and 1 TB flour to prepare the pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 oranges, zested then juiced (about 3/4 -1 cup fresh juice)
- 1 packet of Orange flavored Jell-o Gelatin (3 oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Prepare the Bundt pan: spray with cooking spray then coat with 1 TB flour.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and jell-o in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine. Separately mix the wet ingredients of orange juice, zest, canola oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet using an electric mixer until the ingredients are well mixed. Set aside and make the cream cheese swirl next.
- Swirl: Combine all of the ingredients for the Swirl, beating with a mixer until smooth.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared Bundt pan. I found it easier to put the Swirl into a zip-loc bag, then cut a small edge of the bag and squeeze the mixture on to the orange cake batter. Alternatively you could spoon the swirl on to the batter. Finish with the remaining orange cake batter. Use a knife to pass through the layers in a zig-zag motion to make your swirl pattern.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. I like to let the Bundt cool completely in the pan before turning it out.
- Let cool completely before adding the glaze.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 393 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 210mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 34g Protein: 6g
The glaze: whisk the ingredients for the glaze until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cake.
- Apple Swirl Bundt Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Cinnamon Praline Pecan Swirl Bundt Cake by Karen at In the Kitchen With KP
- Cinnamon Pecan Swirl with Cinnamon Glaze by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Bundt by Anita at Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Matcha Swirl by Kim from Ninja Baking
- Double Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Lemon Raspberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Carrie at Poet In The Pantry
- Lemon Basil Blueberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Kate at Food Babbles
- Nutella Swirl Bundt by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Nutella Swirl Bundt Cake by Anuradha at Baker Street
- Orange Creamsicle Bundt by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Strawberry Nutella Swirl Mini Bundts by Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Bundt by Sandra at The Sweet Sensations
- The Spiced Life Espresso Swirled Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Vanilla Cherry Swirl Mini Bundt Cakes by Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Zebra Bundt by Tara at Noshing With The Noland