Blondies may be the better half to a brownie– the same square, portable treat but without the heaviness of chocolate. The combination of granulated and brown sugar creates a chewy bite that makes it tempting to eat more than your share of each batch of blondies. Make these in a 9 by 13 pan and be ready to feed a crowd.
School may be back in session here in Colorado but summer is not yet over– you will not find pumpkin recipes here on my site in August! We’ll celebrate autumn in all of its glory…in another month or so. Let’s get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather that Mother Nature offers while we still comfortably can.
We’ve lived in Colorado for eight years and still have so much of the state to discover. I hope we can find time for a mountain hike in the coming weeks (most likely on a weekend); pack a picnic, bake one of these picnic-perfect desserts and come along!
The #CreativeCookieExchange is busy baking picnic cookies, bars, and other delights this month. To me, a picnic dessert needs to be 1)easily packed, 2)melt-proof (no chocolate chips or icing please), and 3)a crowd-pleaser. These BLONDIES fit all three categories and will quickly become your go-to dessert for picnics, school lunches, and pot-lucks.
The recipe I followed comes from a Williams-Sonoma cookbook called Dessert of the Day and their recipe for Crunchy Toffee Triangles is a keeper. I took the recipe back to basics and removed the toffee bits (prone to melting) and the almonds (nut-allergy not best for a crowd) and the result is a fudge-like, rich, blondie that rivals a chocolate brownie on any day.
Serving Size: 1 square
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 178 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 54mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 16g Protein: 2g
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Browned Butter Lemon Cookies with Macadamia Nuts from The Spiced Life
- Cashew Butter Bites from Magnolia Days
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chocolate Chip Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Chocolate Chip Potato Chip Cookies from Our Good Life
- Demerara Shortbread Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Gingham Picnic Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Gluten-Free Trail Mix Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Key Lime Coolers from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Naan Khatai – Indian Shortbread Cookies from Spiceroots
- Nutella Energy Bites by Study at Home Mama
- Raisin Biscuit Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Soft Brown Sugar Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks