The #CreativeCookieExchange group is my monthly excuse to bake and eat cookies. As if I need a reason to eat more cookies! Baking with this group pushes me to try new ingredients, refine old favorites, and capture the joy of baking with friends– even if those friends happen to be miles away in their own kitchens. There is a togetherness that comes from baking with others and for that I am grateful to this fabulous group of bakers. We are rounding out the year by baking cookies with nuts. I know some of you need to avoid nuts and you won’t be disappointed. Many of these recipes are just as lovely without the addition of nuts, give them a try. I am sharing pistachio cranberry rugelach. I baked a batch of traditional rugelach a few years ago to send to my dear Aunt Ruth. On the day I baked this updated version with a pistachio, cranberry and citrus filling, Aunt Ruth celebrated her 96th birthday! My aunt lives in California so I was not able to share these with her this time but I know she would have enjoyed them.
I started with this pistachio-citrus rugelach recipe from Whole Foods then added dried cranberries to get into the Christmas spirit with a red and green filling. In fact my only addition was the one half cup of dried cranberries and the zest of an orange which you can add to the filling. You’ll see from this photo that the rugelach are not my most photogenic food of the year! Some of the edges were overcooked and the egg wash was inconsistent which created a lack of uniformity in the appearance of these goodies, but do not let that stop you from baking this recipe yourself! I have gobbled up the rugelach with their crisp edges and all without a complaint. The tender cream cheese based dough gently wraps around the filling of pistachios and cranberries in such a way that you will not stop with just one. My apologies to your waist-line but you can save your New Year’s resolutions of eating healthy until January 1st!
Check out what the group baked this month:
- Honey Mixed Nut Bars from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Butterless Walnut Chocolate Chunkers from What Smells So Good?
- Almond Linzer Cookies from Spiceroots
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti from Oven Delights
- Pistachio, Rosewater and Cardamom Shortbread Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Salted Chocolate Pecan Caramel Bars from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pistachio Cranberry Rugelach from A Baker’s House
- White Chocolate Cranberry Nut Cookies from 2 Cookin Mamas
- Biarritz Sandwich Cookies from The Spiced Life
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese,, chilled
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- zest of one orange
- Please click though here to see the full instructions on the Whole Foods website. I added the dried cranberries and the orange zest to the filling. Enjoy!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made: