Welcome to #TwelveLoaves November! Baking at home and cooler temperatures seem to go hand in hand. Even though I enjoy baking year-round, there is something comforting this time of year to have a warm bread fresh from the oven while the crisp air and colorful leaves linger just outside the windows. The theme of #TwelveLoaves this month is SPICE! #TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora at Cake Duchess #TwelveLoaves runs so smoothly thanks to the help of the lovely Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes and Renee at Magnolia Days. Please bake along with us– details follow below.
Can you smell my Honey Spice Bread this month? The spices of cinnamon, ginger, pepper, and fennel seed combine with the sweetness of the honey to create a deepness of flavor not often found in a quick bread. Part of the magic must be due to the cooking method of baking at a low temperature for a long time. (So maybe “quick-bread” is a misnomer this time!) The second half of the magic equation of this recipe is the honey. I’ve been waiting for the right occasion and recipe for which to use my beautiful jar of Tulipwood Farm honey which I was delighted to receive from Georgia Pellegrini in a giveaway hosted by Bridget from Bake at 350. (Thanks again, Girls!)
This recipe comes from the National Honey Board. Please note that the ingredient list is slightly changed; it is also cut approximately in half such that this ingredient list below makes one loaf of bread.
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cups honey
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
freshly ground black pepper
1 large – egg, room temperature
1 large – egg yolk, room temperature
- Cinnamon-Cardamom Buns by Heather at girlichef
- Cinnamon Crusted Pumpkin Bread by Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins by Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Cinnamon, Orange and Chocolate Chip Bread by Deepti at Bakingyummies
- Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cocoa Clove Pumpkin Bread by Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Ginger Pull-Apart Bread by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Honey Spice Bread by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Persimmon Gingerbread Muffins with Caramel Drizzle by Krista at A Handful of Everything
- Pumpkin Cardamom Bread by Dionne at Try Anything Once Culinary
- Spiced Buns by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Sumac Spicy Crackers by Rossella at Ma che ti sei mangiato
- Sweet Potato Spice Swirl Bread by Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do!
2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this November, 2013, and posted on your blog by November 30, 2013.