A hefty amount of jalapenos give this cornbread a spicy bite. I had jarred, sliced jalapenos in the pantry and put them to good use, mixing them into the batter along with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve with some fried chicken for an ideal summer picnic menu, and remember this recipe later in the year when the temperatures cool and chili is on your dinner table.
Recipe slightly adapted from Williams-Sonoma’s Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread found here.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped, jarred jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush an 8 inch cast iron pan with a small amount of the melted butter. Set aside the remainder of the butter for the batter.
- In a large bowl whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and sugar. Fold in the jalapeno peppers and the cheddar cheese.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and remaining butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently fold the mixture together until just barely combined. Put batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden.
Recipe adapted from this Williams Sonoma recipe.
An 8 inch skillet was used in this recipe.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 218 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 542mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 8g
Need inspiration for your savory breads this month? Here you go!
- Cheddar Jalapeno Sourdough Bread by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Onion and Poppy Seed Bread by Rossella at Ma che ti sei mangiato
- Pissaladiere by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Shallot, Herb and Garlic Cheese Muffins by Anne at From My Sweet Heart
- Skillet Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread by Holly at A Baker’s House