Pavlova with strawberries is an impressive, yet oh-so-easy, make ahead dessert. The meringue will be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Top it with sweetened whipped cream, macerated strawberries, and a drizzle of Sprouts balsamic glaze. This is a naturally gluten free dessert.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature (save the yolks for another purpose)
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 Tbsp. sugar separated
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 – 3 Tbsp Sprouts organic glaze with Balsamic vinegar or Modena
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Trace a 9 inch circle onto a piece of parchment. Turn the parchment over and place it on a baking pan. You’ll be able to see the circle but you’ll bake on the side without the pencil markings.
- If you are starting with whole eggs, separate the egg whites from the yolks. Set the yolks aside for another recipe. Put the egg whites in a large bowl and sprinkle with the cream of tartar. Whip the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks start to form. Slowly drizzle ½ cup of sugar into the egg whites. Continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. The meringue mixture will be shiny.
- Scoop the meringue onto the middle of your circle on the parchment. Spread it gently with a spatula to form about a 2 inch high flattened circle to the inside edge of your drawn circle. Press down a bit more in the center to form a shallow bowl-like shape.
- Bake for 45 minutes then turn off the oven. Do not open the oven. Let the meringue sit for about an hour before removing it to cool on the pan completely. You can store the meringue in an airtight container overnight or up to 3 days.
- Macerate the berries: Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the 2 pints of sliced strawberries in a glass bowl. Toss gently to combine. Leave uncovered at room temperature for 30 minutes, mixing the berries once to distribute the sugar. Use immediately or cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Whip the cream with 1 Tbsp. sugar until soft peaks form. Use immediately or cover tightly and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Assemble the pavlova: Top the meringue with the whipped cream, the macerated berries, and then drizzle the balsamic glaze on top. Cut into slices and serve.