Pears are the star of this fragrant pie! Combine warm spices like ginger and cinnamon with d’Anjou pears, place in a gluten free pie shell, then finish with a ginger cookie crumb topping. Bake to perfection.
- 1 Frozen Gluten Free Ready Made Pie Shell (Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free 9” Pie Shells)
- 6 D’Anjou Pears
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon Sprouts Organic Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sprouts Organic Cinnamon Powder
- ½ cup Sprouts Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sprouts Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) Sprouts Unsalted Butter separated into 6 TB and 2 TB
- 6 ounces Gluten Free Ginger Cookies (Enjoy Life Gingerbread Spice Cookies)
- 1 cup Gluten Free Oats
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove one gluten free pie shell from the freezer. (Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pie Shells come in a pack of two. Save one for another time.) Thaw the pie crust at room temperature for 10 -15 minutes while you prepare the pie filling.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin of the pears. Cut the 6 pears lengthwise. Use a melon baller to remove the core. Cut each half of a pear into 4 slices. Place the pear slices in a bowl; toss with the lemon juice. Add the 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ cup brown sugar and 2 tsp of vanilla to the pears and mix gently.
- Place the pear mixture into the thawed pie shell. Take only 2 tablespoons of the butter and cut into small cubes. Dot the butter cubes over the pie filling.
- Make the crumb topping: In a food processor combine 6 ounces of gluten free ginger cookies (1 package of Enjoy Life Gingerbread Spice cookies) and 1 cup of gluten free oats. Process until the size of small crumbs. Cut the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter into cubes then pulse in the food processor until well mixed.
- Press the ginger cookie crumb mixture onto the pear filling. Cover the entire surface to the edges of the pie shell.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes then cover with foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. The topping will look brown quickly because the cookies are a dark brown color to begin with—don’t worry, the topping isn’t burnt, it’s just right! Optional: Before serving, top each slice with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
*Please note that this pie is only gluten free if you use all gluten free ingredients. The spices included in this recipe were processed in a facility that may process tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat and soy, so if you are eating gluten free due to celiac disease please bake with certified gluten free ingredients.