Gingerbread cookies are a traditional Christmas treat. Their shape allows a cookie to come to life in the imagination of children. Make these cookies with your families and remember those in Newtown. Find joy in the simple act of baking and decorating and sharing time with your own children and grandchildren. Let the icing overflow, the sprinkles decorate the table and the rug, and the smiles of sweet children enjoying the season bring a moment of happiness to your home!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Butterscotch Instant Pudding
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- First cream the butter, brown sugar, butterscotch pudding mix and egg together.
- Separately combine the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon (dry ingredients). One Tablespoon of ginger might look like a lot but the flavor is not overwhelming. These are delicious cookies.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in a few stages, allowing the ingredients to blend well each time.
- Refrigerate the dough wrapped in plastic wrap for at least an hour. This step makes all the difference between sticky, unmanageable dough, and the supple, friendly dough that results after the refrigeration time. Don't skip this step!
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters and re-roll the dough as needed. Line cookie sheets with parchment or baking spray.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 3-4 minutes then move to a wire cooling rack. Decorate if you wish with royal icing or frosting.
Note: I found this recipe is most easily made with a standing mixer. I tried an hand-held, electric mixer that wasn't up to the task, a wooden spoon that nearly snapped in two, and finally the standing mixer which saved the day!
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 85 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 84mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 5g Protein: 1g