Chocolate Chip Cookies with Beets: Yes or no? Give it a try! Beets are the not-so-secret ingredient in the deep color of these chocolate chip cookies, but the real mystery is how the taste is not different from a traditional cookie. Combined with Sprouts organic cocoa powder, the earthy flavor of the beets melds seamlessly in this sweet treat. Give this healthier twist a chance and incorporate beets into your desserts!
I was hesitant with these cookies. The color. The ingredient list. The idea of BEETS in my cookies! But I am the first to say that I was happily surprised with these double chocolate chip cookies. Red velvet cookies, in fact. Sprouts organic cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate chips offset the yes-I-came-straight-from-the-earth taste of the beets. The color is as close to red as I have gotten without using artificial flavors which makes these a fun Valentine’s treat. One piece of advice: wear gloves when you are peeling and roasting the beets. Beets stain quite easily. Mix in a metal or glass bowl that will wash easily; plastic bowls are not a good choice.Print
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies with #Sprouts
- 2 beets
- 1 orange
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Sprouts Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Roast the beets: Peel and quarter the beets. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and roast in a 400 degree F oven for 45-60 minutes. Puree the beets with 2 ounces of freshly squeezed orange juice. Process until smooth. You should have approximately ½ cup beet puree. Let the puree cool to room temperature before proceeding.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Whisk gently to combine.
- In a stand mixer beat the butter with the granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Add ½ cup roasted beet puree and blend until smooth.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients and mix until just barely combined. Add the chocolate chips to the dough and stir until well-dispersed.
- Drop dough by the tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Click over to Sprout Brand website for the full recipe.
Thank you to Sprouts for partnering with me on this recipe. This is a sponsored post for which I was offered the challenge of baking with beets and I happily accepted.