This cranberry butter jewel of a spread is not really a butter (no dairy at all). And it is not really a curd (no eggs in here either) so it is tricky to figure out how to name it properly. Technically it might be a pureed jam. It is an elevated version of cranberry sauce with a richness and depth of texture and flavor. Simple ingredients of cranberries, sugar, and a small bit of liquid which in this case is fresh orange juice with a bit of added water all hang out together for ten minutes in a hot pressure bath called Instant Pot. Before you know it you have a beautiful cranberry creation that today we’re calling cranberry butter. Thirty minutes or less start to finish. You do have time to make this cranberry butter. You might even save your not-so-moist turkey with this cranberry goodness!
Cranberry butter is along the lines of an apple-pear butter or pumpkin butter. It’s just right for your holiday table. Try it this week for Thanksgiving and you’ll find ways to use it right through Christmastime. Add it as a tart-fruit spread to your morning toast, or combine it with mayo for a flavorful aioli. Shake it into an oil and vinegar dressing for a salad, drizzle it over yogurt or ice cream, or jazz up your oatmeal. Use it in a drink to create a flavored tonic, serve it with a cheese platter or just eat it by the spoonful. So many choices.
- 6 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (this will be tart, if you'd like it sweeter, increase sugar to 1 cup)
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- water (see instructions below for amount)
- Zest the two oranges into the Instant Pot.
- Squeeze the juice of both oranges into a glass measuring cup. Mine produced about 2/3 cup of orange juice. Fill with water to reach 1 cup of liquid. (So if your oranges produce 1/2 cup of juice then you will need 1/2 cup water added).
- Pour the water, cranberries and the brown sugar into the Instant Pot. Stir together to mix.
- Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 10 minutes. Let the Instant Pot cool completely or after ten minutes use the quick release function to release the built up steam.
- Puree the cranberry-orange mixture in a Vitamix or other high speed blender. Pour into glass mason jars or other containers.
- Cool in the refrigerator until ready to serve.