I’ve partnered with Sprouts Farmers Market to make a dessert that honors Bastille Day, the July 14th French holiday that commemorates a turning point in the French Revolution in 1789. This national French holiday is celebrated in a similar fashion to the American July 4th with parades and fireworks. Let the celebration begin!
For dessert this week find your inner French chef and whip up this easy galette. A galette is a free-form tart for which the pastry dough is laid flat on a baking pan, a filling is placed in the center, and the dough is folded up around the sides to contain the filling and its juices as the galette cooks. This gluten free version results in a lovely, crisp crust that bakes evenly while the filling bubbles away.
You can find this recipe and others on the Sprouts Brand site here.
- 1 ½ cups Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- ½ cup Super-fine Almond Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ sticks Sprouts unsalted butter, very cold
- 6-8 Tbsp ice cold water
- 12 ounces blueberries, rinsed and dried
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- Combine the gluten free flour, almond flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse 10 times to mix the dry ingredients. Cut the cold butter into small cubes then add to the dry ingredients. Pulse another 10 times to incorporate the butter. Sprinkle only 4 Tbsp. of water over the mixture, pulse a few times, then check the consistency of the dough. If still crumbly add another Tbsp.of water at a time, mixing again until the dough starts to form a ball. Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Check over the blueberries and remove any small stems still attached. Gently toss the blueberries with 1 Tbsp. sugar and set aside until the dough has cooled.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into approximately a 6-inch circle then place on your baking sheet. Place about 2 ounces of blueberries on the center of each dough circle then carefully fold up about an inch of dough around the edges. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the galettes. Refrigerate the galettes for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is lightly browned. Cool before serving.
Please note that this is a sponsored post. I developed this post in partnership with #Sprouts Farmers Market; ingredients were purchased at my local Sprouts store. I was compensated for my participation and all opinions are my own.