Food Blogger Cookbook Swap

wellfed2book

What a fun idea was the Food Blogger Cookbook Swap, hosted by Alyssa of Everyday Maven and Faith of An Edible Mosaic– it was a creative way to connect with and learn about other food bloggers while having fun sending and receiving cookbooks. If you bake long enough you’ll find that a library of cookbooks and magazines will overtake your shelves. For me,  dessert cookbooks are the majority of my collection but I’ve found I also enjoy books that focus on entertaining and those which suggest how to plan and pull together meals. I like the back-to-basics types of cookbooks that highlight good ingredients with proper technique. I treasure these books and read (and re-read) them like novels, a new story line unfolds with each section: appetizers, main courses and desserts. It’s interesting to discover the author’s voice and approach to food through her recipes.

spiced fruit wellfed2

The book I received in the swap is a beautiful book called Well Fed 2, more paleo recipes for people who love to eat by Melissa Joulwan who blogs at The Clothes Make the Girl. It was kindly sent to me by Stacey of Paleo Gone Sassy. Now, you might guess that I do not follow a paleo diet, but that won’t stop me from enjoying this book. The recipes can fit into anyone’s daily meals–vegetable dishes are beautifully highlighted, soups are featured and main course suggestions are plentiful. To be quite frank, I did not know that paleo eating could look so good. When you see Melissa’s food you don’t think of what is lacking, you only see the colors and flavors that are calling you to the plate. My eating habits could benefit greatly by incorporating even just one meal a week of the paleo mindset (no dairy, no sugar, and no grains). Yes, I would struggle with the no sugar rule but my body would thank me. It’s no surprise that my usual sugar-laden desserts aren’t to be found in Well Fed 2 so I gave this spiced fruit a try for a healthy change. Fresh fruit sprinkled with a pinch of paprika and cardamom make for a twist on a traditional fruit salad. The spices change the taste just enough to make your mouth pay attention to the variation in flavor. Try it with any fruit and mix up the spices to experiment.

Here is the list of bloggers who participated. Click through to discover some of our favorite cookbooks!

An Edible Mosaic
Spiceroots
Spoonful of Flavor
Tara’s Multicultural Table
The Not So Exciting Adventures of a Dabbler
The Suburban Soapbox
The Whole Family’s Food

My sincere thanks to Stacey for sending me this cookbook. It was a fun surprise finding the package in my mailbox and I appreciate the introduction to paleo food. I’ve already looked for the first book from the author, Well Fed, and I know I will learn so much from trying out some of the paleo recipes. Who knows, maybe I’ll try to develop some paleo friendly desserts? That would make the lifestyle much more appealing to me! Thanks as well to Alyssa and Faith for their time spent creating and organizing this swap. I’ll look forward to participating another time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

Yeah!! I am glad you liked the book. I feel it is a great cookbook for Paleo and non – Paleo friends! Enjoy the recipes and I will keep an eye out for some Paleo posts!!

• says

Yes, Stacy, thank you so much! I will enjoy the book. When I read cookbooks I spend time admiring the photography, learning about recipe writing styles, and of course, finding recipes to try in my own kitchen. Well Fed 2 is a beautiful book and I will love learning from it.

• says

Hi Dorothy, I hope you’ll enjoy it. Hopefully it isn’t different from your other books because it is not the type of food you like…hopefully it is just different as you hadn’t come across it before! : ) It was tough sending a book to someone who already owns 400!!

2. says

My diet could certainly benefit from a paleo meal or two during the week. This sounds like a fun swap. I’ve got so many cookbooks that I love, I wouldn’t which ones to let go of.

• says

Ah, yes, me too! How to make something without sugar and without butter for dessert will be a challenge to me. I’ll let you know how I do coming up with some ideas.

• says

Hi Susan, yes wasn’t this a fun way to meet new bloggers? It will take me a few days to visit all of the participants and I’ve been really impressed so far. Please stop back another time!

3. says

Thank you so much for the kind words about ‘Well Fed 2!’ I love when non-paleo cooks get their hands on our book — glad you liked the spiced fruit sticks! I hope you have a chance to try a few more of the recipes — the Mulligatawny Stew is a favorite at our house!

Happy cooking to you.

• says

It’s a beautiful book, congratulations to you! I just realized that I didn’t reference where you blog and will add that link to the post as well. I know I’ll make many of your recipes. I even spent some time on websites learning more about the paleo lifestyle. I am not sure I’d have the willpower but it is a way of eating that I admire.

4. Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog says

Ooh, love the paleo cookbook! And the spiced fruit looks so good right about now. Nothing is growing here in Minnesota :(
    Anyway, going to poke around on your blog and see what it’s all about. So far, I like what I see!

5. says

I am so intrigued by the spiced fruit recipe … I am going to experiment with it this weekend!

Great to meet you through the Food Blogger Cookbook Swap!

~Kimberly from Rhubarb and Honey

6. says

Holly, like you….I own many baking books. So I was thrilled to receive a cookbook about Middle Eastern cooking. I don’t follow a paleo diet, either. But I would certainly enjoy making anything from this lovely book! The spiced fruit looks fantastic! : )

7. says

I love the idea of using the different spices on fruit. I use a lot of cardamom in oatmeal and pancakes, but paprika? Mmmh.

Your recipe list layout is BRILLIANT. Can’t wait to spend more time looking at your wonderful recipes, Holly.

8. says

I don’t follow Paleo, either – but I definitely don’t steer away from meals centered around the concept. This looks and sounds like a beautiful book! Yet another one for my ever-growing list ;).

9. says

I don’t follow a Paleo diet, but I really love experimenting with Paleo recipes. I love how the spiced fruit is easy but sweet and refreshing! I’ll have to check out that book because it looks like a great one!

10. says

The spicy fruit is intriguing – I’m not a Paleo follower, but I love fresh fruits and vegetables. This also looks great for whipping up as a snack or light breakfast.

Really enjoying your blog – so glad to find it through the cookbook exchange!

• says

Hi Lea Ann, This was my first time to participate too. I think last year was a Food Prop Swap. I’ll be sure to forward you the info next time it comes up. I think I must have joined a mailing list to get the notifications. Maybe at http://www.foodbloggerpropswap.com? Or their Facebook page? I’ll look into it.

11. says

Wow, what a great book you got! Well Fed is awesome and I can’t wait to get my hands on WF2. Love that you are branching out your cooking style and exploring new ideas. So glad you participated in the swap :)

• says

Thanks, Heather, yes I am ready for more fresh,local fruit too. Sunny days like today remind us that spring is on its way with summer close behind…