Lime and coconut along with pineapple make this a special tropical flavored cake. I found the original recipe for Pineapple and Toasted Coconut Cake in Lauren Chattman’s book, Cake Keeper Cakes, and I adapted it slightly to include lime. I couldn’t get that “Coconut” song out of my head—Put the Lime in the Coconut and mix it all together—do you know that Harry Nilsson song from way back? It’s a catchy tune with good advice; lime and coconut go well together!
Ingredients (adapted from page 128 of Cake Keeper Cakes)
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
juice and zest of two limes
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons lime juice
lime zest for garnish
For the cake:
Prepare a bundt pan with baking spray and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Toast the coconut on an ungreased baking sheet for 3-5 minutes, tossing gently so that it does not burn.
2. In one bowl mix the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, lime and lime zest.
3. In another bowl combine the dry ingredients—flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
4. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer for a few minutes. Alternate adding small amounts of the egg mixture then the flour mixture until all is incorporated. Fold in the pineapple and the coconut.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour. Let the cake cool completely in the Bundt pan before turning it out onto a serving plate. (yes, leave it there until cool and THEN invert it, it will work like a charm!)
Glaze: whisk the lime juice and confectioners sugar until smooth. Let the glaze rest for 5-10 minutes then pour it over the cake. Garnish with lime zest.
Here’s how you can join #BundtaMonth:
- Bake your Bundt for March following the theme – Tropical.
- Post it before March 31, 2013.
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read – #BundtaMonth: Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to both Lora and Anuradha's announcement posts.
Here are some beautiful Bundts from the group this month:
Bananas Foster Bundt by Anita from Hungry Couple
Blue Hawaiian Bundt Cake by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands
Chocolate Bundt With Coconut Cream Cheese Filling by Karen from In The Kitchen With KP
Caramelized Mango Tropical Bundt Cake by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake by Kim from Cravings Of A Lunatic
Coconut and Rum Tea Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street
Coconut Banana Bundt Cake with Rum Glaze by Lora from Cake Duchess
Coconut Bundt Cake by Holly from A Baker’s House
Coconut Lime Bundt Cake by Kate from Food Babbles
Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog
Lime Glazed Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry
Mini Pineapple Bundt Cakes with White Chocolate Ganache by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
Pina Colada Bundt Cake by Renee from Magnolia Days
Pineapple Bundt with Kuih Tat Filling by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
Strawberry and Banana Bundt Cake by Veronica from My Catholic Kitchen
Vanilla Orange Bundt Cake with a Hint of Coconut by Laura from The Spiced Life
White Chocolate Guava Cake by Kim from Ninja Baking
Let's see what you have been baking, link up here!