Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling #BundtaMonth

I am joining Baker Street and Cake Duchess this month in their joy of cooking Bundt cakes. The ingredient offered this month was PUMPKIN. I can’t say I am a huge pumpkin fan in desserts—no pumpkin pie for me—but this Bundt cake has me rethinking that stance. Maybe I’ve been missing out on pumpkin treats for years! The cream cheese filling in this pumpkin cake is what makes this Bundt particularly special. The filling’s creamy sweetness is a perfect partner to this pumpkin but not-too-pumpkin cake. Try to eat just one piece; it’s tougher than it sounds!

I found a recipe for Apple-Cream Cheese Bundt Cake online from a September 2011 issue of Southern Living. Add that to the long list of food I’d like to bake, but I’ll save the apple cake for another day. Today is all about pumpkin.

Ingredients: The filling is identical to Southern Living’s recipe and I adapted the cake batter to fit the pumpkin theme

Cream Cheese Filling:

Praline Glaze:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 TB milk
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
1. First grease and flour a Bundt pan.
2. The filling: Combine the cream cheese, butter and 1/2 cup sugar with an electric mixer then add egg, flour and vanilla. Blend until smooth then set aside.
3. Cake batter: Mix together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and spices. Whisk to blend. Add the eggs, oil and pumpkin, mixing until just blended. It’s ok to see a few streaks of flour left behind.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Assemble the cake: The batter will be thick. Using a large spoon, place small mounds of batter around the Bundt pan and spread it evenly around. Use only 1/2 to 2/3 of the batter.

Next add the cream cheese filling in the same manner, using a spoon to place the filling then gently spreading it out.

Finish up with the remaining cake batter; try to cover all of the cream cheese layer with a layer of cake batter.

Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour. I baked in a convection oven and the cake was finished in 55 minutes. The cake will pull away from the edges of the pan and will be nicely browned. Remove the cake from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack. Let the cake cool for a few hours before jumping into the glaze.

The Glaze: Heat the brown sugar, butter and milk in a pan to a boil. Stir the mixture as it heats, a whisk is the best tool for the job. Take the pan off the heat and add the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Let this glaze cool, I waited about 15-20 minutes before it thickened slightly. Pour the glaze over the cake.

I am sure this lovely cake could serve a crowd. In my case, I cut the slices on the larger side and started right in. Thankfully a friend saved me from eating the whole cake myself and agreed to sampling the cake. I happily dropped half off at her house. Even so, a family of four plus two grandparents ate one half…I ate the other!

Click here to see where I link up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

This looks really good Holly. I must admit that I am not a pumpkin fan at all with one exception, I love a cream cheese pumpkin roll. This recipe reminds me of that with the exception of that beautiful glaze. Yum, I want a slice.

2. Anonymous says

Hi Holly! We are sitting on top of Mt. Magazine, staying at the Arkansas State Park Lodge.
    It ‘s beautiful! Right now we are enjoying a
    Dutch oven cooking class. I think your Pumpkin
    Bundt Cake with cream cheese filling recipe would be delicious for all
    outdoor cooks! Let’s go camping! Aunt Marsha

3. says

I’m not a fan of pumpkin at all, but I’m guessing this would work with carrot cake as well? I love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Has anyone tried that?

• says

Hi Cindy, I have carrot cake in mind too with this delicious cream cheese filling. We ate the pumpkin cake so quickly that I have the original, apple version baking right now. I am trying it as muffins and in a loaf pan. I’ll let you know when I get around to carrot too. Thanks for leaving a comment. Holly

4. says

WOW!!! This looks absolutely delicious and beautiful! What a work of art! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’m pinning now to make this fall for sure!

P.S. – New follower! So excited to see more from you!

~Jen @ Yummy-Healthy-Easy

5. says

Mmmm your cake looks beautiful! I love bundt cakes, they always look so pretty and just make the cake taste even better! Your cake sounds delicious!

6. says

The next pick for cheap gucci handbags 2012 is sure to catch your eye with its illustrious sparkle. The Gucci Imprime cheap chanel handbags Bag has definitely earned its spot as one of the most wanted cheap hermes handbags of 2012. It comes in many colors such as silver, gold, burgundy, and red, and cheap louis vuitton handbags are all equally fabulous! Like our other Gucci selection, the Imprime omega speedmaster watches falls into the everyday wear category, but that doesn’t mean it cannot venture best christmas gifts out at night with the right outfit! So, throw it over your shoulder or into the cheap rolex watches crook of your arm, this piece of arm candy is ready to go!

7. Anonymous says

również pchnięciа, by byt zdołali dosłyѕzeć.
    refinanced – W гzeсzy sаmeј, bogаtо

ludzie gaworzą. Ceсhу jak mówią szemгzą, od momentu οbeсnego
    szewczykа, kto na beѕtię się zasadził, zbrοjni przykładnie obіli

pluѕ ωrzucil.