Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Rum Raisin Banana Bread, a Nigella Lawson Recipe
1/2 cup raisins
6 Tablespoons dark rum
1 cup plus 2 TB flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
4 small, ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Put the raisins and rum into a small pan and bring to a boil then let the raisins rest (off the heat) and they will soak up most all of the liquid. You can drain the liquid if more than a TB still remains after 30 minutes to an hour.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl with a whisk then set aside.
3. In a separate bowl mix the melted butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium high until well blended. Slowly add one egg at a time and mix each thoroughly. With a spoon mix in the mashed bananas, teaspoon of vanilla and raisins.
4. Add the flour mixture a small bit at a time and fold in until just blended.
5. Scoop the thick batter into a loaf pan 9 x 5 inches that has been prepared with butter and flour. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for an hour. Add five minutes longer if a toothpick doesn’t come out clean after an hour.