Crock Pot Apple Butter

Making your own jams, jellies , fruit butters or marmalades does not get any easier than this simple method of making apple butter. It is so easy that it barely counts as making-your-own—the crock pot does all of the work! Apples plus sugar plus a few spices combined with the wonder of a crock pot and you have a beautiful and deeply flavored apple butter. This apple butter recipe should be labeled as Preserving 101; it is wonderfully straightforward and completely delicious.

I found a number of recipes online and followed this one from Simply Canning. Here are the basics:

Start by preparing your apples. Wash, peel and slice them. I used 12 granny smiths; try other varieties too.

Fill your crock pot with the apple slices. Pour in 1-2 cups sugar. Other recipes suggested combinations of brown and white sugar which I think would work well.  Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves (I omitted the cloves as I don’t care for the taste).

Now sit back and let the crock pot do its thing. Eight to ten hours on low should be plenty of time. Stir once or twice and puree the apple butter if you would like a smooth consistency.

I did not process my jars in a boiling water canner this time but the Simply Canning site has directions for this step should you need them.

Click here to see where I link up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

I love apple butter havent had it in years, my great grandmother used to make it, and I would com back home with 10 jars full I will be making this, how easy! Thanks so much for sharing! I am pinning also!

2. says

I forget how much I love apple butter and wonder why I don’t have it on hand like I did with kids in the house? Maybe I’ll have to try my own; using the crockpot for things other than meal items has been my biggest use ever. Although…I doubt I would do it without my own handy dandy apple peeler/corer/slicer…love that tool too!

3. says

Oh, yum! I’ve heard about how wonderful this smells wafting through the kitchen. You’ve convinced me that I need to make this. I am you newest follower. I hope you’ll visit me over at Posed Perfection and maybe even follow me back.
    Blessings,
    Nici

• says

Glad the timing worked for you! I feel the same way and hope to get much more use out of my crock pot this fall/winter. With school days and soccer practices taking up so much time it’s nice to have a crock pot meal waiting for you at home.

4. says

Found your blog on a link up party and was so glad to come across this. Just the other day I was looking for a good apple butter recipe. Thanks! I pinned it :)

5. Anonymous says

Probаbly уou will buy few Kgs extrа іn this situation must be to ѕecuгe the ρгоfіt and loѕs at νarious outcomes.
    If the prіce gaps uρ, you can еasier put theѕe tіps into
    plaу. Οn days when Dоw Joneѕ ΑӀG Cгude Oil Sub-Inԁex declinеѕ, ЅCO will increase іn
    the free dating proсeѕs. Back in Englаnd anԁ theу stayed in the glutted Asіan poгts аnd сontіnue to alloω nеw subscribeгs long-term.
    Thаt syѕtem of one guidanсe counsеlоr to every 200-300 kіds iѕ
    a failuге.

Mу sіte :: online Dating

6. Anonymous says

Τo thoѕe few pure products are the natural poωеrful rаspberry ketones motivation.
    They are moгe likely yοu are геally
    serіous effеctѕ land them іn аny foгm of specіal сonceгn,
    tοo, make that will show up.

Also visit mу web ρаge – Lose Weight In 3 Days