Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
Sweet potatoes and carrots-- these vegetables sound like autumn to me and the fragrant addition of cinnamon and nutmeg had me thinking of Thanksgiving…yet spring’s arrival is less than ten days away. Why was I cooking this soup in March you might ask? Well, I had the ingredients and I was hungry which is a combination guaranteed to make good food at any time of the year! I learned that this soup can and should be enjoyed regardless of the season. It’s that delicious!
I modified a recipe from Cooking Light to come up with this soup. The torn out page from the magazine had been sitting in my recipe drawer for over 2 years!
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
6 carrots (peeled and chopped)
1 can chicken stock
½ onion (chopped)
1 ½ cups water
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
Parsley to garnish
1) Melt the butter, add the onions to soften for about 5 minutes
2) Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, nutmeg, cinnamon, stock and water
3) Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are fork tender
4) Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until you reach your desired consistency. I preferred this soup smooth and relatively thick.
5) Add salt to taste, garnish with parsley